Railway transportation - GBSI - Global Business Service Information
Railways are laid on the territory of different countries, which allows international transportation by rail in almost any direction. In some cases, it is rail transport that becomes the most profitable tool for delivering cargo to nearby countries. The choice in favor of the railway is more often due to the unprofitability of using cars on the chosen route.
Among the advantages , the following are important:
- Favorable cost – railway transport is the cheapest after the sea.
- Wide coverage network. It is possible to deliver throughout Russia thanks to the developed railway network.
- Exact delivery time – the dispatch of trains does not depend on weather and climatic conditions. Your cargo will not stand if the weather has deteriorated or summer restrictions have been imposed on the passage of trucks on federal highways.
- Versatility and high load capacity – suitable for heavy and oversized goods, one covered wagon carries up to 60 tons of cargo.
- The ability to combine different variants of wagons in one freight train, which gives high safety for each type of cargo.
However, be sure to consider such disadvantages of this method:
• additional costs and loss of time in order to make an overload at the border associated with different railway gauge widths in Russia and in other countries;
• there may be slight changes in the terms of cargo transportation if there is a congestion of wagons at the stations;
• absence of customs posts and warehouses at some stations;
• there are situations when shunting locomotives and rolling stock are temporarily unavailable.